Saturday, March 8, 2008

Call them what you want, I call them socks.





Hurray! I've finally knitted a pair of "socks" on my circular sock machine (CSM). They may be too small, too bright and funny looking, but just like ugly babies, they're cute to you when they're yours. I've recently ordered the full DVD instructional video set from Roxana Baechle (CSM knitter and restorer) and I'm amazed at how much I've learned. Tension, tension, tension! I can't express how important that is. I found it strange though that I can make tubes like nobody's business on my 54 slot cylinder, but I drop stitches like a mutha on my 72. Go figure. I've also learned that oiling my needles helps keep the latches open, which in turn helps prevent the yarn snags and hang ups I had been getting so frequently. I am getting better with every hour I work on my CSM. Now, if there were only more available hours in the day...

1 comment:

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

I know it's kinda late in the day to comment on this blog from way back, but congratulations - it must have felt wonderful to get those socks actually made!

I know all about the thrill of making a tube WITHOUT dropped stitches now (most of the time) but can only look forward with trepidation to the heel-turning bit. With your example, I'm motivated not to give up!